Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center, was established by the order 93 dated on May 17, 2007 under the subordination of the Caspian Sea Oil Fleet which was the structural division of SOCAR. Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center was directly subjected by the order 92 dated on June 30, 2011 to the Training, Education and Certification Department, newly established in SOCAR structure. In Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center teaching and organizing training courses are carried out in accordance with the requirements of International Maritime Organization (IMO) ,The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers ( STCW-78), Model Courses , “RECOMMENDATIONS ON TRAINING OF PERSONNEL ON MOBILE OFFSHORE UNITS” (Resolution A891 (21) and International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA). The main purpose of the Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center is to train the oilmen working in the stationary offshore platforms, offshore oil - gas installations and seamen working on vessels on the basis of IMO `s relevant Conventions, Model Courses , Requirements of resolutions and IMCA`s relevant standards.
In the administrative building of the Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center there are specialized classrooms for the trainees supplied with equipment, computers, projectors and slides; a rich library to provide them with the corresponding literature and additional training means during the education term.
Practical trainings in the Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center are held in the specialized indoor pools, offshore survival training blocks and in the polygon supplied with corresponding fire equipment, smoke mazes and fire-fighting simulators, including simulators located in the administrative building.
Simulators in these places are the followings:
simulators and equipment located at the specialized indoor pools (dimensions: width 21m x length 50m); Life-boat; helicopter simulator cabin; springboard to jump into the water from the height 1 and 3 meters; winch to lift people out of the water; speed boat equipped with electric motor; water thrown type rescue raft; artificial undulation creating device in the pool; artificial wind and rain creating device in the pool; sound effect device in the pool.
Simulators and equipment located on the trestle bridge blocks:
gravitational or braces-type rescue boats; viking; water downloaded type rescue viking; helicopter winch; speed boat; diving station supplied with the necessary equipment.
simulators located at the polygon :
water- fighting simulator; smoke labyrinth simulator; fire-fighting simulator; pressure chamber and diving class.
In Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center below mentioned 38 courses are carried out in accordance with the requirements of International Maritime Organization (IMO) ,The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers ( STCW-78), Model Courses, “RECOMMENDATIONS ON TRAINING OF PERSONNEL ON MOBILE OFFSHORE UNITS” (Resolution A891 (21) , International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) . Training and education of oilmen working in stationary offshore platforms , offshore oil - gas installations and seamen working on vessels are realized by the center`s specialists awarded with international certificates and attested at the State Maritime Administration of Azerbaijan Republic .
1. Dangerous, hazardous and harmful cargoes;
2. Safety training for personnel providing direct service to passengers;
3. Ship security officer;
4. Training for seafarers with designated security duties;
5. Ship security-related training and instruction;
6. Training in advanced fire-fighting;
7. Proficiency in fast rescue boats;
8. Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats;
9. Medical first aid;
10. Basic training and qualifications on oil and chemical tanker cargo operations;
11. Medical care on board;
12. International Safety Management Code (for rank-and-file members);
13. International Safety Management Code (for commanders);
14. Advanced training for oil tanker cargo operations;
15. Operational use of electronic chart display and information systems;
16. Crowd management training;
17. Safety familiarization, basic training and instruction for all seafarers;
18. Safety familiarization, basic training and instruction for personnel on self-propelled mobile offshore units;
19. Training of professionals for survival craft and boats, guard boats other than fast guard boats for personnel on self-propelled mobile offshore units;
20. Crisis management and human behaviour training;
21. Engine-room resource management;
22. Passenger safety, cargo safety and hull integrity training;
23. Leadership and teamwork;
24. Minimum fire safety standards;
25. “First aid” (Occupational Health and Safety Management System);
26. Development of divers to grade 3 for III work group (rescue diver);
27. Development of divers to grade 4 for I-II work group (industrial divers);
28. Improvement course on diver qualification from grade 4 to 5 for I-II work group;
29. Improvement course on diver qualification from grade 5 to 6 for I-II work group;
30. Aircraft Underwater Escape Instructor Training Course ( HUET Diver);
31. “Training of underwater welder and cutter” course;
32. Medical support for divers;
33. Survival methods for offshore oil workers and ship crew members, use of personal protective equipment and fundamentals of swimming ;
34. Survival methods for offshore oil workers and ship crew members, use of personal protective equipment and improvement of swimming;
35. Firefighting in fixed offshore platforms and floating drilling rigs, establishment of fire brigades and management (for management staff);
36. Attestation on swimming;
37. Improvement of rescue sailors;
38. Diving operations manager;
39. Rules of using and handling primary firefighting means;
40. Provision of first aid to an injured person.
Over the past period in order to save the lives of sailors and offshore oil workers, an indoor training pool was built to conduct trainings.The pool ,50 meters in length by 21 meters in width , with a capacity of 3,000 cubic meters , has a depth of 1.8 meters to 4 meters. The pool has been furnished with modern water purification, water heating and wave-inducing simulative systems. There are 16 persons tanker type gravitation boat, “Viking” type lowered and released rafts, as well as “PSN-6” type aviation raft installed in the pool that can enable to organize other courses on the basis of OPİTO standards in Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center in order to increase the quantity and improve the quality of the training courses in future .
In the last quarter of 2016 Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center is scheduled to be completely accredited by OPİTO and is planning teach the courses mentioned below on the basis of OPİTO standards: Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Trainings (BOSİET) ; Helicopter Underwater Escape Trainings (HUET) ; Further Offshore Emergency Trainings (FOET).
İn Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center conducting trainings and monitoring are carried out by one Head master, four Theoretical training specialists, nine Manufacturing training masters, one doctor –physiologist , four senior diving specialists, one water landing specialist and one methodologist. In general, since the past period Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center was subjected (dated on June 30, 2011) to the structure of Training, Education and Certification Department , up to December 12, 2015 , the Center has involved 26 783 listeners in various courses. 20145 people of them have been from SOCAR , 6636 have been from other oil - gas , shipping companies and physical persons.
To ensure safety of employees working in offshore oil – gas installation is considered as the most important issues and in this regard SOCAR continues the policy of ensuring the safety of human life at sea basing on the requirements of international conventions. Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center is the only training center in the Azerbaijan Republic which possesses modern material - technical base and carry out trainings on the following directions for the seamen and oilmen working in the offshore on the basis of IMO`s and IMCA`s Requirements:
Diving – There are classrooms equipped with diving equipment , diving station, pressure chamber simulator for trainings of production and rescue divers, medical support for divers and holding various training courses related to the field of diving in the Offshore Maritime Safety Training Center on the order of Diving and Emergency -Rescue Affairs Office and outside organizations;
Swimming – The courses in the line “Training , improvement and certification on swimming” are organized to teach swimming methods to offshore oil workers and ship crew members, to instill the ability of swimming in different weather conditions, to train survival methods to the people in case of falling into water for the establishment of safe working conditions of the oil and gas industry workers in the Caspian Sea in accordance with international standards;
Struggle for survival - Courses are organized in accordance with the structure and equipment of the rescue boats, survival crafts, rescue jackets , hidrosuits , rescue circles , guard boats , fast and other than fast rescue boats, their provision; security measures during loading and lifting the boat , methods of returning overturned boats and crafts to their previous condition, managing of the boat and craft in the unfavorable weather conditions,starting the boat's engine and its associated equipment and mastering the boat maintenance rules;
The fire-fighting- It is of particular importance to possess the landfill equipped with smoke mazes and simulators to upgrade the knowledge and skills on training personal safety and social responsibility , fire prevention , firefighting for the people working in the offshore oil - gas installations and ships.